- Age / Gender:
- 20, Male
- Moscow, Russia
- All Stats >
I've developed a few Flash-games in the past, doing ActionScript 2.0/3.0 coding. I've animated Madness Combat sprites a lot, see Madness Havocization. Did some frame-by-frame special effects. And I always demand high quality from myself and others.
- Community Stats
Level 10 Blank Slate
Ranked as Civilian
Contact Info / Websites
Wrote a small simple Map Editor for Kiloru's project in FlashDevelop using ActionScript 3.0/Flex in 2 weeks. Some interface graphics were made in Flash 8 Professional and embedded into the editor via SWF. Note, I failed to embed a font from an AS2 SWF file but succeeded in embedding a font file from file system.
The editor allows to open and save .lvl files, draw tiles on a level image with 2 layers, place game objects, regions and assign string identifiers to those. Also allows to set parameters for the 4 borders of the level and background/foreground.
.lvl files contain ActionScript 3.0 code which is a function call (loadLevel) with array parameters passed to it. Now, I know that's a terrible format, but Kiloru is working in Flash CS5 Professional, and there is no way to embed an XML or a TXT file - only bitmap/sound/video - in Flash Professional IDE. Therefore the only way to embed any text data in Flash is to #include it as ActionScript/XML code. Phah! I could make my editor publish bitmaps, pixels of which are encoded level data, and then write a decoder for that, but that would be even more violent.
A big success for me is that this was the first time that I actually wrote an interface system with components which worked without errors and followed encapsulation programming principles, meaning it can be ported to my future projects without effort! I've been struggling to achieve this for a long time and therefore I'm insanely happy. What was putting me off every time was that I tried to make the Scrollbar class automatically move stuff which was registered to it, when scrolling, and that was a feature that I never needed in any of my projects, or I needed something way more complex than that. It means that I tried to make the Scrollbar simple to use for some normal purpose, yet also fit to be used for complex purposes, and that created a mess and clutter which is impossible to work with.
I've got to say that my interface system is far from meant to be used for simple purposes. It's got no layout management. It relies on the programmer to set most of the parameters via function calls which must be called in strict order. It just demands understanding of how it works, therefore it's not some kind of a simple solution. Perhaps, if I work on it more, give it some "auto" mode or something, or extend it with "SimpleScrollbar" other people might be able to use that.
P.S. The most enjoyable part was writing level encoding/decoding. For some reason I love low-level stuff and getting closer to the way computers think... I'm a computer by nature 0.0
Recent Game Medals
Total Medals Earned: 563 (From 89 different games.)